Feline Faith

By Sharon Chiellini
If I had to name the one thing that I remember most about my childhood it would have to be my obsession with cats. I loved every imaginable kind of cat God created. Big cats, small cats, wild cats, domesticated cats, long haired, short haired, fluffy or bald, I loved them all. I spent many hours drawing cats and reading and writing about cats. My mother would embarrass me by telling people how my cat's paws were bald because I used to suck on them when I was little. As disturbing as it sounds, the thought still brings me comfort. I guess he was my security blanket. Oh how I miss my Tiger.

We don't currently have a family cat right now. I guess you could say we are "in between" cats. Our last cat, Tiger II, died a year ago but his sister lives next door. Her name is Pandora and she follows me around when I work in the yard or when I go for a walk. She will follow me faithfully, carefully from a distance without seeming to worry about where I am going. She just follows. She makes me think about my faith dance. I long to be able to follow my Savior without worrying about where he is taking me or what his plan for me is when I get there. If only I could just follow...quietly...faithfully...peacefully.

There is just something about the way cats behave and maneuver that intrigues me. They are so quiet and agile, yet strong and quick. They can be brave and dangerous but soft and cuddly at the same time. When I reflect on my former cat obsession it is sobering to realize that the reason I loved cats so much was because to me, they were everything that I was not. They were beautiful and graceful, and I was not. They were smart and cunning and I never felt that I was smart enough. They were brave and fearless and I possessed only a vapor of courage that quickly vanquished in the face of adversity. Oh how I longed to grow up and be cat woman! But God had other plans for me.

As I grew in my faith, my savior taught me many things. He taught me that he created me to be exactly who I am and that no one else could possibly be a better me, than me. He doesn't want me to try to be someone I am not or someone that others want me to be. Quite frankly when I try to pretend to be someone I'm not, I just feel kind of sad and pathetic. I just gotta be me. That's what God wants for you too, to simply be the best you that you can be. Don't worry, He'll be with you every step of the way. I have learned that the me I thought I was is nothing like the me that God designed. Satan's lies can cause us to have such a warped opinion of who we really are. God knows you better than you know yourself because He designed you and He will show you who you are in Him. It's an exciting journey, so be sure to dig your claws in and hold on tight.
Psalm 24: 4, 5 says...
He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior.


In order to make strides towards being all that God intends for us to be we all need a good cleaning now and then, and trying to wash up on our own isn't going to cut it, we need a good God scrub. If you really want to draw close to God and feel His power and presence in your life you need Him to reveal to you all the things that are stinking up your life and all the garbage that's tripping you up in your faith dance. I challenge you to pray today for a spiritual scrub down and you will be amazed at what He reveals to you and how much closer you will walk with Him when you are all cleaned up.

I have also learned that my God thinks I am beautiful...and smart. He imparts wisdom to me whenever I ask, which makes me feel as smart as I need to be. There is no limit to the courage that comes from letting go and letting God do His thing. What a liberating feeling to know that we never have to walk one day on this earth without being completely, unequivocally, hands down eternally...LOVED. It doesn't matter if anyone else sees our worth or not. God thinks we are priceless and because of his unconditional love for us, we can hold our heads up and be as fearless as a mountain lion, as cunning as a cougar, as agile as a jaguar or as soft and cuddly as a Himalayan no matter what anyone on earth says or thinks.

Deuteronomy 31:8 says...
The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.

One last word of feline wisdom I have learned over the years...LET GOD CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS! He can do a much better job than you can. In fact he may choose someone quiet different than you would have picked and that can be a very good thing. Some of my best friends are more canine than feline but that's OK. I like the fact that they are very different than me. God chose them just for me because He wanted to bless me, protect me, encourage me and teach me and I love them all very much! I pray He does the same for you!

I would like for you to take a moment to close your eyes and picture what a cat looks like when she takes a little cat nap. She is curled up in a ball, usually laying in a sunny spot. Her eyes are closed and her mouth looks like it is turned up in a peaceful smile and if you listen carefully you can hear her purr ever so peacefully without a care in the world, as if she is praying. The tip of her tail goes up and down slowly, tapping out the rhythm of a song only she and God can hear. Wouldn't it be great if we all took time for a little cat nap now and then. I think we should all strive to have a little bit of cat woman in us.

So...after your cat nap, strut your feline (or canine) faith girlfriend and I'll meet you at the water bowl!

Comments
Until next time my friend,
Strength and honor in Christ